Tuesday 19 May 2015

Modernism in Berlin - concrete sculpture and spaceship...

…Going back to my first day of documenting Berlin modernism. As you remember from my post related to galleries/museums it started pretty early… Sunday 5am beside U-bahn station, waiting for the train with coffee in one hand and cigarette in the other. Glorious weather and beautiful morning light. 
Timing was crucial and I wanted to do as much as possible in one day. I was expecting rain all next day…which actually happened. 

Before 7am I was already on my first location… 

Benjamin Franklin Campus - Charite 

It’s a one of the biggest in Europe university Hospital with institutes, clinics and lecture halls. Building is located in Steglitz, southwest of Berlin - beautiful place with lots of green areas and mostly residential houses. CBF, huge concrete 'sculpture' full of amazing details was designed by Curtis, Arthur Q. Davis (from New Orleans) and Franz Mocken as contact architect.
I would like to add also that Franz Mocken was together with Werner Düttmann the contact architect of Hugh Stubbins for building in 1956-57 for the Interbau (Hansaviertel) the Kongreßhalle. 
Hospital was constructed in 1959-1968 with financial help of USA as ‘evidence of the American interest in the future of Berlin’. That’s why in honour of the American support original name ‘Klinikum Steglitz’ was changed over a years.




The Internationales Congress Centrum Berlin located in Westend. My second building.
This closed now since 2014 structure, designed by Ralf Schüler and Ursulina Schüler-Witte was completed in 1979. As one of the largest conference centres in the world It was used for conventions, theatrical productions, and concerts.

I'd say It was the most challenging building. Massive, spaceship-like structure surrounded by roads with heavy traffic, railway, fences and other urban elements. All of it makes it impossible to set large format camera and frame it in an interesting way. There is obviously no space for that. After moving all equipment around it a few times I thought I will leave without photographs which would be really bad for the project. I had to do something. ICC is a unique structure.
After while I realised that there is a narrow footpath along one to the busy roads just beside ICC. Also this elevation as the only one was beautifully illuminated by the sunlight. I decided to give it a go. Close distance, very tall building and fence in between the road and my subject…  Photographing some details with a little bit distorted view was the only chance to do it ... and I must say I really like the effect.

ICC © Artur Sikora
ICC © Artur Sikora
The job was done. Next on the list was Corbusier House ...

...

This article closing my presentation of modernism in Berlin documented within 2 days at the end of April. Very busy two days but also exciting (as my subjects) and very satisfying.

T the end here is the list of all related articles if you missed it before or if you would you like to read it again:

- Modernism in Berlin - concrete sculpture and spaceship...


Thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment