Thursday 21 October 2010

before they will vanish...

There are some things that will never fade away. You just feel it and you know that this is IT.
...taste and flavour of good coffee, sound of vinyl record, analogue photography and modernism, especially expressed by the architecture. That's My Things.
I would like to stop here for a while. Modernist architecture.
It is interesting how much the form may affect the senses. When i am entering into such a place i am shivering. I am amazed by simplicity and functionality of surrounding forms. Everything is so fresh, so thoughtful, so genuine. I would say there is even something mystical in it.
I tried to pass these feeling some time ago during work on one of my projects. To see results please click HERE.
Over a week ago I had the opportunity to admire a few such structures. Actually two...just two... Mentioned some time ago on this blog Open House Dublin 2010 made it possible.
The Original Dublin Airport Terminal (Desmond FitzGerald, completed in 1940), Berkeley Library (ABK Architects, completed in 1967), Busáras (Michael Scott, completed in 1953) and Liberty Hall (Desmond Rea O’Kelly, completed in 1965). That was my short list. Unfortunately I couldn't make it into the first two.  Very busy time. But i celebrated every minute in the other two.
Busáras by Michael Scott - real office machine, full of live. It's one of the first post Second World War examples of the International Modern style in Europe. During the tour which took over half an hour i  felt like traveling in time.

Busaras, entrance to the offices
Busaras, canteen
 ...and Liberty Hall - fantastic, simple structure...forgotten and totally underrated. I know, i know - there is just little percentage of people who appreciate Beauty of its form. I am one of them!
Unfortunately I could see there just the entrance hall and the top floor. Admittedly we could soak up the magnificent panorama of Dublin (please see photographs - just click HERE) over there, but it was not what I was looking for. I wanted to see more within the building itself, i wanted to feel it...not enough time and no access made it impossible.

Liberty Hall, entrance hall
The sad thing is that Liberty Hall may be demolished in the nearest future to be replaced by “something new”. Why? Why not renovate it, restore the former splendor and adapt to modern requirements? Its so simple...
I found a very comprehensive website with lots of information about this disappearing symbol of Dublin. If you will have some spare time please watch this FILM (click the link). Fantastic document!
I am still thinking about photographing these buildings in a broader aspect. Maybe it will happen one day...before some of them will vanish...

8 comments:

  1. Great work Artur, and engaging writing. It saddens me enormously that Liberty Hall might go - I love it. Is there still a peregrin falcon living on the top of it? I saw photos taken by people who work in there, and there used to be carcasses of small seabirds scattered on the pavement below. Shoudlnt; there be a campaign to save the building? If there is, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Annette! I am very happy there are more Liberty Hall fans ;D I think that something may going on around Paddy Cahill's website in saving campaign matter. not really sure.
    it would be such a shame to lose this building...
    and i never heard about falcon :) nobody even mentioned about it when i was there.
    but hey, if we have a falcon over there we can engage Green Peace in all action as well ;) haha
    but seriously - I really hope that decisive people will at last change their mind and Liberty Hall will be renovated. I'd love to see how its getting protected structure status like Busaras...
    People should respect the traces of past years. This is a part of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is. And, on that topic, if you happen to hear of a campaing to save the Pigeon House chimneys at Poolbeg, sign me up for that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are reading in my mind Annette :)
    these chimneys are on my list as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitly agree with you about the value of those old design. I hate our "all in plastic packed with electronics devices epoch", it kills a lot of moods and spirits and had destroyed the idea of thats some products can last thought times and fashions...But, well, it our world...

    ReplyDelete
  6. plastic epoch...
    well said! i miss genuine design, design with personality...
    luckily our world it's not so rotten and there are still a few people who appreciate innovate and unique ideas of designers form that times :)
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great stuff Artur,
    keep it commin!!
    you got to start engaging with the occupiers of these places to get better access!! and then you can build on what you have grabbed on a weekend(good and all as it is)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's my plan David. cheers

    ReplyDelete