Wednesday 12 June 2019

Convert – world of photography and ... cameras

There was a long time with no posts. To be honest not sure if people still read blogs… They probably do but whole attention has shifted to fast changing images rather than anything else. 
I also have to admit that I had not much time to write about anything for the last half a year or so. All my projects are on hold due to work and family related duties. One can say that there is always a moment for casual photography… well, that really depends on circumstances .

So ... first post after over 6 months will be mostly about cameras for a change rather than photographed subjects ;) but there are a few photographs to look at as well.

Let’s start from the beginning. Couple of years ago I decided to switch my photographic equipment which I am using for professional purposes to mirrorless system. It was all about weight,  outcome quality and other features unavailable in DSLR world (at least at the time when change has come).
This move took a while but I enjoy every single minute with it. My backpack lost about 40% of its weight and technical quality of work at the same time went up incomparably.

Weight was the main factor when I started to consider similar change with my film cameras I am using for personal purposes… personal projects and rather rare negative film based commercial assignments. 
It was especially important due to my recurrent back problems and the fact that I cycle and walk most of the time. I definitely had to get portable analogue equipment .

I sold my Hasselblad 500cm with its two lenses at the beginning of this year. 10 years with  this wonderful but relatively heavy system came to its end. Shooting hand held, which is the way I work a lot when photographing for personal purposes, was limited rather to 1/125 with Hasselblad. Even 1/60 was very risky with its large mirror. It was also a bit awkward to carry around.
I needed more flexibility.

I decided to go for Rolleiflex T with 75mm f3.5 Tessar lens.



Very small and light camera. At the moment even 1/30 of a second is easily doable handheld. Completely different experience. Now this camera is often in my bag or over my shoulder and it is not a burden anymore. I could come back to my long forgotten routine of photographing Dublin. Of course as long as weather is good. Also thanks to easily accessible and affordable filters I could rediscover my way of photographing and getting stronger contrast which I love. 

© Artur Sikora 
When sun is up which happens more and more often these days - Dublin is beautifully illuminated. I can see places I am passing by almost every day in completely different way. New perception, new way of seeing and completely new way of transferring this vision into celluloid material. 


Chancery House designed by Herbert Simms in 1934 © Artur Sikora
Kiosk designed in 1934-35 by Herbert Simms
 as part of the development of Chancery House housing scheme
© Artur Sikora

That wasn’t the end. I needed wider angle. Equivalent of Hasselblad 50mm lens.
Long research and I ended up with Fujica GS645w Professional equipped with 45mm f5,6 lens.



Extremely light camera, perfect ergonomic design and incredible optics. Also scale focusing system made it obviously point and shoot medium format camera created to photograph architecture or landscape :) 

Berkeley Library designed by ABK Architects in 1967
© Artur Sikora
Miesian Plaza, Recently renovated building 
originally designed by Ronnie Tallon of Scott Tallon Walker Architects 
and constructed in two phases during the 1960s and 1970s
© Artur Sikora


Glandalough © Artur Sikora

I am using both interchangeably and looking forward to get back at some stage to expand my ‘Unfulfilled Dreams’ project. I miss visiting modernist classics for pure photography and education purposes. I just need a time for it…

This is not the end of course. My very reliable and also heavy large format camera Sinar F2 has also gone. This was a camera which I wasn’t using anymore due to its weight and complexity of setting it up on site along with very heavy tripod needed for it.
I ended up with two excellent super light custom made 4x5 pinhole cameras with perspective correction. 



Well, I am thinking about getting proper, small and portable 4x5 camera at some stage as well but that’s the future…

Arts Building designed by ABK Architects in 1978
© Artur Sikora
Former Saint Nicholas of Myra National School,
Carman’s Hall, Dublin (
1936-39)
Building designed by John Joseph Robinson and Richard Cyril Keefe
© Artur Sikora
Achill Island © Artur Sikora


And that’s enough for now. I hope to prepare more substantial text next time. Thank you!







No comments:

Post a Comment